Babies are surely the most wonderful gifts to a mankind. A lot is already known about babies yet a lot needs to be explored to know these amazing creatures fully.
Do you know there are some unbelievable facts about the babies?
Babies go through a series of development before they are equipped to eat and drink like way we do. Their perception and understanding of the world around develops gradually and remarkably over a period of a few months to a few years.
18 Unbelievable New Born Baby Facts
Here, are some really unbelievable facts about babies which will take you by surprise for sure.
1. Taste Buds: Babies have around 10,000 buds on their tongue – more than the adults.
Eventually these buds disappear while the baby is growing up.
Babies can’t taste salt till 4 months of age.
This is because their kidneys are yet to develop in their bodies to be able to process out salt from their bodies.
2. Turning head: New born babies are more inclined towards TURNING THEIR HEAD RIGHT RATHER THAN TO THE LEFT.
This is a strange fact but true.
3. Vision: Till six months it is difficult for a baby to see properly or clearly.
Although, the size of baby’s eye is three-fourth the size of an adult’s eye yet a baby’s vision is only 1/20th of a baby’s vision.
Only when the baby reaches six months of age, is he or she able to see distinctly.
4. Number of Bones: One of the remarkable facts about babies is that they are born with 300 bones which fuse to come down to 206, the number of bones present in adults.
5. Length of Intestine: Would you believe that your small little lolo has got an intestine which is super long.
It is 11 feet long and doubles up when the baby grows up.
Now, you can imagine how many folds are actually present in a human intestine.
6. Smile: In the entire animal kingdom, only babies of humans smile back at their parents.
7. Birth rate: In this world, in every 3 seconds a baby is born.
8. No: Swinging head side ways to say ‘No’ came from these wonderful babies who would turn away their heads from food when they are done.
Your baby has got a super strong grasp, so much so, that he/she can actually hang in the air by just clinging on to something with their fingers- A SuperBaby!
10. Swallow: I am sure you are unaware of this one.
A baby till seven months of age can swallow and breathe simultaneously without any problem.
And, this is something very specific and remarkable about the babies.
11. Difference in weight: The baby boys are heavier than their female counterparts.
However, the difference is just about 200-300 grams.
12. Infant: A new born is called an infant for just first 28 days since birth as the baby could hardly communicate anything.
‘Infant’ is a Latin word which means ‘Unable to talk’.
Usually, nowadays babies from 1-12 months are referred to as infants.
13. SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome): SIDS causes the highest amount of deaths in babies.
The reason is still not completely known for this.
In the US, about 7000 babies die every year due to this syndrome.
14. Hair Fall:
Most infants or new borns lose all the hair they are born with till four months since birth.
The cradle cap and the body hair get washed off in a few months since birth.
15. Response to Voice: Babies prefer to respond to female voice with higher pitches than to a male one.
This is perhaps the reason for people to raise their pitches while talking to babies.
16. Origin of the word Baby: The word baby was developed from the baby’s babbling like ba-ba-ba-ba.
These were some really interesting facts about the babies – The super wonderful creatures.
The nature is surely generous in blessing these little creatures with such remarkable traits.
The Mother Nature is at best while designing these beautiful babies.
17. Colours & Patterns: Babies are said to be genetically programmed to prefer certain colours, shapes and patterns at birth.
They can even distinguish between primary colours and have a preference for particular ones.
Most babies prefer curved lines over straight lines, they prefer to look at patterns rather than simple stimuli and they prefer three dimensional figures over two dimensional ones.
18. Smell: An infants sense of smell is so well developed that even at 12-18 days many newborns could recognize their mother on the basis of smell alone.
Other interesting facts:
1. Infants are born with an innate sweet tooth.
Scientists offer an evolutionary explanation to this by saying that because breast milk is sweet to taste most infants are born with a natural affinity to sweet things.
So if your baby is not taking to the bottle easily, you can sweeten the nozzle with a little sugar water to encourage him/her to drink his/her milk.
2. An average baby’s vision is 20/20 by 6 months, hearing begins at birth but is perfected by around 12 months and a baby is born very sensitive to touch.
Thus brightly coloured toys with interesting textures which has different movable parts as well as makes sounds is an ideal toy for a 8-12 month old baby as it activates so many different sensory channels and helps sharpen the babies sensory perception.
3. Around 8-12 months is when something called ‘OBJECT PERMANANCE ’ takes place which means that a baby knows a certain thing exists, even if he cannot see it at that moment.
Thus if your 6 month old baby is crying for you even though you are in the same room it means you are not in his/her line of vision and so he thinks you are gone.
4. At 6 months an infant’s babbling starts to reflect the sounds of the language he is most exposed to, so much so that even an untrained listener can distinguish the babbling between different infants from different countries.
Thus if you want your baby to start speaking a certain language ensure that he is constantly exposed to it in his environment.
So these were some really interesting facts about every baby.
We simply loved these facts… Did you?